My name is Christina Becerra and this is my blog! As I find hope and encouragement, my passion is to share it with the world so that maybe someone would be encouraged. The journey hasn't always "felt good", but I am thankful to say that the Lord has sustained me and spoken tenderly to me. My hope is that you would be open to His gentle whispers of steadfast love and peace as you walk through the valley.


November 16, 2011

Both are at hand, but which one will you choose?







I like sharpies. In fact, I was always that girl growing up who would use her hands as the ULTIMATE notebook. I would write homework assignments, "bring lunch money", instant message screennames, and even a character named 'Bob' who I made "squashing" jokes with whenever I clapped my hands. OK- so maybe this explains why I never fully grasped basic math concepts, but it was my choice, and it was well worth it!

Today I am 21 years old, and yes, I got a hold of a sharpie... but this time it serves a better purpose than an agenda book. Thankfully my freshman year of college I learned the concept of buying a notebook for those type of things. Instead, I used the sharpie today to help myself grasp what the Lord has been teaching me this week.

Ironic how when I was writing "overcome evil with evil" on my left hand, it was really easy because I am right handed. But when I had to write "overcome evil with good" using my left hand, it felt like I was back in kindergarten learning to write my ABC's for the first time. It was extremely difficult and took a lot more effort and concentration. Funny how this is somewhat relative to what God is teaching me.

Given that we are naturally sinful, wicked people, it's much easier to harm someone who has harmed us (overcome evil with evil). It has happened for centuries, so why not keep pursuing this? I mean, I've always written with my right hand, so why switch to the left hand when what i'm doing what "feels right" and "comfortable". On the other hand, we are given the choice to repay someone with goodness rather than harm (overcome evil with good). In fact, the bible even goes further to say "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head" [soften the person, melt his hardness]. I know for me i'm more like "hey enemy, there's a 7/11 down the road, GO BUY YOU'RE OWN DRINK SUCKAAA!" Do not be overcome by evil, but instead overcome all evil with good" (Romans 12:20-21)That's tough.

You may say, "Yeah, well you don't know how he/she has harmed me. If you really knew the full extent, you would understand that this instruction DOES NOT apply to me"... and you're right, I don't know you or what's done to you. What I do know is that God's Word is true and that it's not meant to really "feel good". Most likely your anger towards this person is rooted to the pain and hurt they have caused you.
Perhaps your evil doer:

-stole something from you
-spread rumors about you
-deceived your spouse to sleeping with them
-caused pain to a loved one
-physically/sexually/verbally/emotionally abused you
-abandoned you
-lied to you

... and the list goes on and on.

The bible clearly says in Romans 12:18-19 "If possible, so far as it depends ON YOU, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." Therefore, our only obligation is to leave it in the hands of God and trust that he pays close attention to your life and cares for you when you've been overcome with evil. He will be "Abba Father" (Daddy) and take care of those who have wronged you.

Now you may ask, "How the heck am I supposed to move on and trust that God is going to take care of my pain, my anguish, my grief, my everything that was done against me?" Well, funny that you ask, because when Jesus died, he left us behind the "Helper" also known as the "Holy Spirit". Jesus said "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. LET NOT your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." (John 14:25-27) The Holy Spirit gives peace. And in Isaiah, one of God's promises is that he "keeps him in PERFECT peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he TRUSTS you" (Isaiah 26:3) When you don't have peace in trusting the Lord with your evil doer, I challenge how intentional you are at trying to keep your mind on God and His Word. I say this because I am totally guilty of this not only daily, but hourly. My challenge to you would be to try this. Try finding a scripture that keeps you in perfect peace everytime a thought of overcoming evil with evil feels like your only option.

When someone does wrong to us, there are two options at hand. Like the illustration, we can choose to overcome evil with evil or overcome evil with good. You can choose to steal someone else's peace because they have stolen yours. But God never says that He will bless you for causing a scene and putting someone in distress. Instead, he says "BLESSED are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God" (Matthew 5:9) BLESSED.. yes, you receive a BLESSING when you choose peace, when you choose good to repay.

God cares about you. If you think facebook is disgustingly getting creepier, you should meet God.. because he is "disgustingly" creepy over you because He's obsessed with you. He enjoys when you laugh at youtube videos, He enjoys when you try to bake brownies but they come out completely burned. He is delighted in you, meaning he finds a HUGE deal of pleasure in you. And when you're sad or have been wronged, it hurts him also. He wants you to follow His advice when these things happen because Daddy knows best..

Who has done evil to you? Who has hurt you to the point of anguish, grief, sobbing, and anger? Will you choose to overcome (put name here) with evil and most likely accomplish nothing except for additional pain? Or will you choose to overcome (put name here) with good, and experience peace and joy? Both are in your hands, which one will you choose?




"Do not be overcome by evil, but instead overcome all evil with good" (Romans 12:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment